THE WEED BUSINESS:
Analysts are calling it the country’s "fastest-growing industry" and Arthur Frommer (godfather of the travel industry who founded the Frommer's guide) said “get ready for the era of marijuana tourism”.
In the US, 8 states have legalized its recreational use and more than half of all US states permit it for medical purposes. In Dec, The New York Stock Exchange listed its first public marijuana company.
Times are changing, so I sat down with Joe Dolce, author of “Brave New Weed” to explore the future of the weed business and its social impact.
WHO IS JOE?
Joe Dolce is a seasoned journalist who worked with Anna Wintour at Vogue, introduced Jamie Oliver to the US audience as the chief of Gourmet magazine and spent a week in Mexico trying to outdrink Anthony Bourdain. He has a treasure trove of stories spanning an impressive 20yr career as a journalist.
For the last 3yrs, Joe travelled the globe researching the uncharted world of the cannabis industry. From legal states in the US, medical research in Israel, weed tourism in Colorado & the criminal justice system - Joe has dug deep into this topic.
5 THINGS TO LISTEN OUT FOR:
(1) His Journalist Background - stories of interviewing Hugh Hefner in the playboy mansion & Anna Wintour eating cheeseburgers at her desk. How his background in journalism got him onto this topic for his book.
(2) History - Why has it been such a taboo subject, what is changing now, legalization vs decriminalization, positive & negative impact.
(3) Current Landscape - what does the landscape look like right now? How are people like Snoop Dogg, Whoopi Goldberg & The Marley Family setting up to profit?
(4) Future Growth of the Weed Business - comparing it to the beer business & wine country, big pharma, tobacco companies, investment, weed tourism & medical use.
(5) Social impact - the US has 5% of the global population but 25% of its prisoners, what impact will legalization have on the criminal justice system? How will it impact people of color who are disproportionately impacted by minor drug offenses?
- [1m32s] - Who is Joe Dolce
- [2m51s] - Stories from being a journalist -Anna Wintour eating cheeseburgers
- [3m27s] - Interviewing Hugh Hefner at the playboy mansion
- [5m44s] - Hanging with Jamie Oliver in Essex
- [6m54s] - Why did he start writing this book
- [7m56s] - Importance of language, plant vs drug
- [9m38s] - History, why it has been a taboo subject & the war on drugs
- [13m37s] - Legalized states
- [14m34s] - Difference between decriminalization vs legalization
- [15m53s] - Parallels between alcohol prohibition
- [17m27s] - Why has it taken so long to legalize
- [19m10s] - Gateway drug & negative impact
- [24m23s] - What Obama had to say about it
- [26m27s] - Positive uses that researchers have found
- [29m31s] - What is THC and CBD?
- [31m53s] - Painting a picture of current business landscape
- [35m16s] - Future of business, comparing it to the beer industry
- [37m47s] - Future of weed tourism, comparing to wine country
- [40m04s] - Big pharma and alcohol companies stance
- [43m38s] - Tax revenue & growth, estimates for California being a $30bil market
- [45m16s] - How Snoop Dogg, Marley Family, Whoppi Goldberg and more are investing
- [46m59s] - US is 5% of global population, 25% of prisoners, impact on criminal justice system and people of color
- [52m24s] - Impact of decriminalization of all drugs
- [58m05s] - About his book: Brave New Weed - link here:
All show notes and other episodes available at:
Connect with Bilal: